With All My Heart



Nancy





“Vincent.”  A relieved, happy whisper. 

He’d made no sound, yet she was tossing back the blanket, reaching for a robe, now half flying up the steps, opening the door wide to him.

“Catherine.  I’ve come to ask your forgiveness ...”

A finger, light and purposed on his lips, quiets him.  “It isn’t important.  Nothing matters now that you’re here.”

He presses them together for a long moment, then holds her away, his head tilted low to see the face lifted to his.

“It is important, Catherine, and it does matter.  I was wrong.  I hurt you.  I’ve stolen your joy.  Again.”  He pauses, gentles a silken strand behind her ear.  “Let me try … to be better.  I promise never to send you away.  I’ll let you go,” the words an agony, “… only if it is your wish.”

 “I’ll never want to leave you, Vincent.”  She smiles at his foolish offer.  “A funny thing about … loving a man … you want to be with him every moment.  As for the rest, I’ve always understood, well, at least most of the time.”

Invited to serenity and confidence, to love not fettered in time or place, he longs to embrace everything she offers.

“I’ve brought you something.”  He scoops pink petals from a pocket in his cloak, spills them into her open palms and onto the balcony floor at her feet.

“Fairy moonflakes,” she grins.

 “May your every step be blessed, Catherine,  through fragrant meadows, soft and safe, and may life guide you to a place white and hushed, where roses bloom and dreams come true.”

She lifts both hands, sets the April night to floating around them.  “I’ve come to where you are, Vincent.  My journey is done.”


always an anniversary of loving
April 2013

5 comments

  1. Where roses bloom and dreams come true... oh Nancy! What a beautiful phrase and beautiful picture you paint. Thank you. HUGS

  2. 'Only' a year and a half between your kind words and this grateful acknowledgement, Brit. Forgive me. Posting is such a big deal, so tricky, but now I've found that I can easily reply this way and I promise to do that, to express my gratitude, in a timely fashion. Meanwhile, I hope I emailed you my thanks back in December of 2013. I'm very grateful to you, Brit. Love, Nancy

  3. This is quite lovely! I know it I said it before but it truly is! ��

  4. Happy Anniversary to Catherine and Vincent!
    Hugs to you Nancy

  5. I still love this!
    Brittanystem@gmail.com

Post a Comment