Christmas Hearts

Nancy



I’m sleeping
No
I’m just awake
Lying on the couch
Mary’s quilt so light
So warm

He covered me

It’s Christmas Eve
Or is it still
I hear the quiet carol play
Embers whisper on the hearth

He had the logs ablaze
When I got home tonight
I worried for poor Santa Claus
He smiled at that
And then we kissed
Angels we have heard on high
I sang to him
He kissed me twice again

Across the room
Hands clasped behind his back
He gazes out
Our winter garden calls to him

Merry Christmas Catherine
Into his warmth I lean
My arms a living wreath
Encircle him

Is it Christmas then
I ask
I think so
Yes
He says
Christmas Past is due at one
I thought to let you rest till then
He turns and kisses me

Marley’s been
I sniff
Pretend
Brimstone

He grins

Come
Find a coat
Your scarf
And gloves
Come
Out
Into the snow
We’ll search the sky
This holy night
For that one sacred star

I’ll know it
Vincent
Shining
Brighter
New
And
You
Aglow
Within its noble light
Beauty
Goodness
All unconscious
Humble

He shakes his head
Denies my words
In their place he says my name
Tells me
I’m
His Christmas blessing

Hand in hand we step into the snow-lit dark
No special star to seek
For all have shone upon us
It is enough
We are
Together
At Christmas


Merry Christmas, H
2010

7 comments

  1. Oh, Nancy. I love this. How sweet and loving and so utterly them. I'm so glad to see you and your poems again :)

    -Krista

  2. merry christmas nancy.

  3. Krista, you are so sweet! I hope your Christmas was filled with love! Merry Christmas to you and your husband and daugher! Nancy

  4. Thank you, Brit! I'll want to hear about your Christmas when you have time. Every happiness in the New Year, dear Friend! Nancy

  5. I love this quiet moment between the two of them. How sweet. Thank you, Nancy, and Merry Christmas to you.

  6. Sandy, thank you. It's so kind of you to find words of praise for this little poem. I hope your Christmas was filled with a special peace and that the New Year will bring wonderful surprises to delight you. Nancy

  7. Oh Nancy, this poem brought tears to my eyes. So very sweet! Thank you.

Post a Comment